On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 21:30:21 +0900, Ralph P?llath wrote:
> Hi,
>> I've been receiving a lot of Swen emails to my ruby-talk address
>> lately. This mailing alias is rather new and so my guess is that
>> this list is actively being harvested for emails. Is there
>> something we can do to fix this? This is getting boring, my email
>> bandwidth quota is being eaten by these goddam 150kb emails.
> That's because this list is mirrored to usenet [...] with all
> email addresses intact. I also find this annoying, and wasn't
> aware of the fact when I subscribed (probably because I didn't
> read the fine print).

This has nothing to do with it. I've got a dedicated usenet address
and it gets far less spam than any other address I have (and this
was even true when I was far more active in newsgroups than I am
now). People like to blame this on the news gateway, but that's not
it at all.

Look instead to web archives (e.g., www.ruby-talk.org).

-austin
--
austin ziegler    * austin / halostatue.ca * Toronto, ON, Canada
                                         * 13.31.21