On Thursday, October 16, 2003, at 10:46  AM, James Britt wrote:

> I suspect that 'send' is most used when a specific method name is
> unknown until run time, and you want to dynamicaly invoke a method.
> However, there's the chance one could inadvertantly call a private
> method; adding some protective measures to 'send' would help block
> this.
>
> Sure it's true that one can always hack around such measures, but the
> idea is to raise the bar.  (And I suppose some combinbation of
> overriding 'method_added' and inspecting the call stack could be
> thrown in to make things harder.)
>
> James

Thank you thank you thank you.

I've been trying to wrap hash style accessor methods around arbitrary
getters and setters.  (Kinda like Daniel Berger's "Perl Idioms" but in
reverse - so that it works on mixed in attributes & accessors.)  Don't
ask why, it seemed like a good idea at the time.  Started out hard
coding keys to be forwarded to methods, discarded as cumbersome, then
tried 'eval', and then 'method'.  This one seems to do the trick though.

Just writing as a reminder: there's lots of newbies reading and we
really appreciate all the smarts & knowledge flying around here.

David