On Saturday, October 11, 2003, 3:25:17 AM, Nikolai wrote:

> By the way, if you read this and you use Vim, please check out the
> Vim/Ruby project at
>         http://rubyforge.org/projects/vim-ruby/
> and try out all the latest features.  Much work has been done since the
> 6.2 release, and it needs a good test-run.

I'll just note for those interested that "the latest features" are
only available via CVS at the moment.  A "devel" release will be out
shortly.

>>   If a general-purpose program were provided, it would offer a
>>   solution to any editor and for standalone use, as well as inspiring
>>   greater agility in the existing editor plugins.  It would not render
>>   such plugins obsolete, rather provide a backup for the tasks they do
>>   not easily do (indent entire file, accounting for prefs, comments,
>>   here-docs, etc.).

> like indent(1) you mean?  I rarely run indent, but if I was ever to
> alter other people's code, I'd probably run it through indent(1) before
> running it through Vim's.

Precisely like indent.  Say it were called 'rindent', then from within
Vim (or any editor; that's the point) you can run

  :%!rindent

and have it done nicely.  Obviously you're still going to use your
editor's indenting features as you type and want to correct small
blocks.

Also, Nikolai, I thought this would be perfect for you, as you have
already done it in VimL :-* and are gearing up to do it in pcpEdit in
Ruby ;)

Gavin