On Oct 11, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> * Brett H. Williams <brett_williams / agilent.com> [Oct, 10 2003 20:50]:
> > Thanks for maintaining the Ruby vim indent script (Gavin also).  I use
> > it constantly.
> You're welcome.
> > One advantage I do see that the vim indent script has over emacs mode
> > is the matching colorization of def and end, which is a nice feature.
> Ah, this is the syntax definitions doing.  Thank Doug Kearns for his
> great efforts at getting it right.
>
> [Vim is worse than Emacs]

"Vim is worse than Emacs" is a poor paraphrase :)  But I know what you
mean.

> > These things are annoying enough that <gasp> I have a binding that
> > will call out to Emacs to indent code.  I don't use it that often, but
> > I do have it.
> OMG!
> > This is my biggest annoyance:
> >
> > foo = some_method(arg1, arg2, arg3, "some long argument that eats space",
> > "some other stuff", arg, etc)
> >
> > Emacs mode will indent the "some other stuff" according to the ( on
> > the previous line).
> OK.  You should head on over to
> 	http://rubyforge.org/projects/vim-ruby/
> and get the latest version of it.  It does all that.  Better than Emacs
> hopefully.  This was the version I was referring to.

Oh thank you thank you.  It does what I want now.  I wish I'd been slower
posting then I would've seen your later post urging us to try it.  I hadn't
looked at things since the 6.2 release.

Thank you.  I see matchit is working correctly as well--I was relying on
Ned Konz's version to get this.

Here is the first problem that we found:

  def somemethod(something)
    return Array.new() unless @var.class == Array
    end

The use of the .class method confuses the syntax.  If you use the
deprecated type() method, this problem goes away.

If I notice anything else I'll be sure to provide feedback.  If I can get
to the point where a gg=G can be relied on as I used to rely on Emacs, I'll
be extremely happy indeed.