Ah I see.
However my paths come from the user.  But the user doesn't concern about
ruby's conventions. There must be a way to work with (analyze, shorten
etc.) paths without the requirement for them to actually exist. I don't
work on real files...
What about that?
sep = if ENV['OS'] then "\\" else "/" end

thanks again

                      Pierre Baillet
                      <oct / zoy.org>            An:      ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org (ruby-talk ML)
                                               Kopie:
                      09.10.2003 16:07         Thema:   Re: Antwort: Re: SEPARATOR doesn't work
                      Bitte antworten
                      an ruby-talk

Hi,

in ruby, File::SEPARATOR is always "/" (at least on win32, cygwin and
linux build) and path are always composed of "/" and not "\" (even on
the win32 build, paths seems to be "translated" by ruby on the fly)...

Cheers,
Pierre.

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003, Robert Klemme wrote:

> <Robert.Koepferl / de.gi-de.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:OFD475C346.5D134A27-ONC1256DBA.003E7FD3 / gdm.de...
> >

> > Thanks....just learned another thing.
> > It works fine, however there seems to be a bug or anything like this.
At

--
Pierre Baillet
       Emacs, not just a way of life but a complete waste of disk space