We've got a good old-fashioned derby going on in blogoland.  Perhaps
some of you fully-vested shareholders can give me a hand here.

Some disparaging Ruby+XML benchmarks from yesterday:
  http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/

And now I'm making a case for the speed of Ruby+YAML:
  http://www.whytheluckystiff.net/

So, if this gets heated, I'll end it pronto.  This isn't name-calling or
brute campaign (I hope).  A friendly face-off.  Like a pick-up game of
basketball.

Here's what you can do:

  - I've opened a Wiki page. [http://www.intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/ThePickupGame]
    Add your suggestions for improving our chances in the running.

  - Check out the scripts [http://www.whytheluckystiff.net/ruby/yaml-vs-atom/]
    and take a stab at improving the converter.

  - Perhaps someone can better represent Ruby+XML?  Can we benchmark
    Ruby+libxml2?  Any other good XML libs out there?

So what's the goal of this?  Well, I'd just like to give Ruby a good
showing.  I think we can make a tight case for using Ruby and YAML
together.  And a chance to get some good Ruby code out in the eyes of
those who haven't seen it.

_why