Thanks for your help.  Unfortunately your suggestions didn't work.

What I meant by "can't get it to work" was that I get no syntax
highlight when
I hope a ruby file.  Nor am I able to invoke ruby in the debugger mode
to debug my ruby script.

Incidentally, when I open a .rb file, xemacs says:

Any other advice?