Hello Joe,

>> Does not support native threads: not a major issue for me, but maybe for
>> some people it is.

JC> Putting aside the fact that on Windows there are some really pathological
JC> threading issues... does the fact that Ruby doesn't support "native threads"
JC> means Ruby will not take advantage of multiple processors (and
JC> pseudo-multiprocessors, like Intel's HyperThreading)?  I don't know much

Yes thats right !
One of the reasons why it is not the best language for larger server
applications where at least dual processors are very common. Of couse
you can use multiple processes, but then you will see much harder IPC
and caching problems if you don't use one fat central database server.

JC> about the microprocessor industry but from what little I know, it seems like
JC> at least some of the big companies are looking to multiple cores and other
JC> parallelism at the thread level for their future chips.

That's right and it's the right way. But i think the NUMA architecture
will win (long term future). With NUMA (Non unified memory
architecture) you don't have a shared memory anymore - so the ruby way
is not so bad.

--
Best regards,