Rasputin <rasputin / idoru.mine.nu> skrev den Mon, 29 Sep 2003 22:24:19 +0900:

> * Zach Dennis <zdennis / mktec.com> [0944 13:44]:
>> Well if makes you feel any better, my fiance is about to graduate with a
>> degree with Business Marketing from Western Michigan Univ. and one of her
>> requirements is to take an 'internet marketing' class. From what she's told
>> me they are trying to have her learn that SPAM is just an evil
>> discriminating way to say Internet Marketing( yeah for of all of SPAM-bias
>> folk out here who have the wrong idea about SPAM ), and they've got
>> thousands of these people graduating every 6 months!!
>
> We need a way to make spam cost money if we're ever going to get our
> Internet back. Haven't figured one out yet.

http://www.hashcash.org/

is one crypto proposal that can be used here. There are others.

Basic idea is to impose a CPU cost for each sent email => not really
noticeable for normal users since we don't send hundreds of mails per second. But if each calc takes say 10 seconds then a spammer
can only send 0.1 mails per second making massmailing costly.
Many caveats of course. Some schemes tries to be independent of
increasing CPU power by utilizing cache mem "timing penalties" instead
of "raw cpu power" algs.

Regards,

Robert