Berger, Daniel wrote:

> I recently was able to successfully build an exe on my own XP Pro box
> and it worked fine.  This application includes Ruby packages that are C
> extensions. I gave it to a co-worker to test on his XP Pro box and he
> got this error:
>
> "This application has failed to start because MSVCR70.dll was not
> found.  Re-installing the application may fix this problem".
>
> Now, I do have VC++ 7 on this box, and I'm assuming that's where the dll
> came from.  My question is, why does it need this dll?

MSVCRT70.DLL is the C runtime library. You can think of it as the
equivalent of, say, libc.so on a Linux system (maybe Solaris too).

> Is it because of the C extensions?

Yes ;)

> Or did I build it badly?

Not very familiar with exerb, but I doubt this indicates that you did
anything wrong. exerb probably just doesn't bundle dependencies such as
this one into its archive.

> Is there a way around this or will I simply have to distribute the dll
 > with the exe file as part of a distribution?

I think the latter. You want to make sure that this DLL is somewhere in
the user's PATH.