David Garamond wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 06:00:21AM +0900, Xavier wrote:
>>
>>> Thought you'd like to know about this article
>>> This links to the printable version, much easier to read.
>>> http://linux.oreillynet.com/lpt/a/4159
>>>
>>> Enjoy.
>

> Speaking of Unix tools, do any of the Perlians in this list remember Tom
> Christiansen's pet project Perl Power Tools?
>
>  http://www.perl.com/language/ppt/
>
> The project aims to rewrite many Unix commands in Perl, from simple
> commands like 'echo', 'clear', and 'cat' to moderately complex ones like
> 'cp', 'find', and 'ls' to complex ones like 'awk', 'make', and 'm4'.
> Take a look at the URL above, they seem to have implemented a good chunk
> of them.
>
> Perhaps someone with extra free time on his hands would like to take a
> stab on a Ruby Power Tools project? ;-)

Actually, I had thought of this quite some time ago. I picked the
project name "Runix" and played with a cute logo that (sort of)
spelled Runix in Norse runes.

The aim at the time was to implement a free set of Unix-like tools
for Windows (without the heavyweight solution of Cygwin).

David Alan Black and I also discussed this as a possible codefest
activity, but dumped it in favor of scanf.

Finally I decided: It's an interesting and fun activity, but it's not
a high priority for me. I myself am rapidly moving away from Windows,
and it's not usually wise to invest in the past.

Hal