Hi,

In message "[ruby-talk:8247] Re: My first impression of Ruby. Lack of overloading? (long)"
    on 00/12/29, Jean Michel <jmichel / schur.institut.math.jussieu.fr> writes:

|>sort! returs nil if the message receiver (the array) is not changed, as do
|>many (but not all) of the "!" methods.
|
|Even so I am still surprised. How one is to know that in
|
|  [1].sort!
|
|the receiver is not changed, but in
|
|  [1,2].sort!
|
|it is? Not obvious to me...

It currently returns nil only for obvious cases (i.e. sorting on array
of 0 or 1 element).  It is on the way to either returning no nil, or
returning consistent update status.  Stay tuned, and do not rely on
the return value of sort! for a while.

							matz.