--nqkreNcslJAfgyzk

Ben Giddings (bg-rubytalk / infofiend.com) wrote:

> On Monday, September 22, 2003, at 12:35  PM, Dave Thomas wrote:
> >>It wouldn't take much effort to change the email address, would it?
> >>
> >>  email.sub(/@/, " (at) ")
> >>
> >>And nobody would *complain* that their address was being modified.
> >>

> >Well, I wasn't sure - it's sometimes inconvenient dealing with hacked
> >e-mail addresses - it means that anyone wanting to send e-mail to a
> >poster has to retype.
> >
> >Might it not be easier to set up a filter so that you only accept mail
> >to a particular alias if it comes from ruby-talk?
>
> Let me explain why I think having obfuscated email address is
> essential.  When I joined the Ruby mailing list I did it from a work
> account, but I didn't know that the address would be mirrored exactly
> as-is to newsgroups.

So?  Its also being presented as-is in the archives at ruby-talk.org.
Here's a link to your message, as you can see, your email address is
presented on the third line from the top.

http://ruby-talk.org/blade/82744

Spam spiders can find the email just as easily as a newsgroup-reading
bot could.

All messages signed with fingerprint:
FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E  7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

--nqkreNcslJAfgyzk

--nqkreNcslJAfgyzk--