>> go "yep, that looks good, I'll commit that".  And besides, once
>> you've subscribed, it's easier to contribute more patches!
>> >
>> > Given Jason's busy workload (I would imagine)
>
> LOL! When you're not out of high school, there's really not that much
> work to be done. :)

Sigh... those were the days!

>> > I doubt he will be able to contribute that many (if any) patches.
>>
>> The suggested patch would take less than 5 minutes.  It might not seem
>> like much of an outcome, but the maintainer, on applying it, would
>> probably be prompted to do some general improvement to the file.
>
> No, actually, the main thing I'm worried about is subscribing to
> ruby-core. About how many messages/day there? Might have to fork some
> money over to softhome.net to get a higher mail quota. Anyhow, I think
> I'll subscribe to ruby-core and submit the open3.rb doc patch.

It's a low-volume list, probably averages 5 emails a day at most.

> <thinking out loud>
>
> It Would Be Nice(tm) if there was an email address that would forward to
> ruby-core so people wouldn't have to subscribe for simple little patches
> like this. Maybe have to include "ruby-core" in the subject line or
> something so spam doesn't get through.

I don't know if you even have to be subscribed to send stuff there but you
would probably want to see replies to your post anyway.

>> directly to the author, but if the file is in the Ruby distro,
>> ruby-core is a good catch-all.
>
> Yes, especially because there's no author listed for open3.rb. So the
> general rule of thumb would be that if it's a package of it's own right
> (something like test/unit or webrick or something), sumbit patch to
> author and it'll get into Ruby next time he/she does a CVS commit, but
> if it's on its own, like open3.rb, send to ruby-core?

Well, ruby-core is a good catch-all, as most if not all package
maintainers would be subscribed.  And someone else could commit it on
their behalf anyway.  It might be best to target authors to avoid
overloading ruby-core, but I don't think that'll be a problem just yet!
You common sense will be fine.

I may be way off in my advice, but nobody has offered anything else :)

> Jason Creighton

Cheers,
Gavin