On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 05:06:28AM +0900, Mark J. Reed wrote:

> Instead of using the class << self notation, you could do this:
>
> 	class TheClass
> 	    def TheClass::foo
>
> But that can get tedious when defining multiple class methods,
> plus you run the risk of missing a change if you rename the class
> later.

I was just shown:

    class TheClass
        def self.foo

This way you don't risk the missing a change when you rename the
class. You still get the tedious typing though. :)

However, what does 'class << self' really mean? Why is this one
of the 'obvious' ways to define class methods?

No, I'm not being sarcastic, just realizing that I don't know the ruby
language as well as I would want to. To me it looks like we're
shifting the current class into an anonymous class, and how that can
spell 'class methods' I really can't see. :)

//F