On Wednesday, September 10, 2003, at 03:28 AM, Greg McIntyre wrote:

> Dave Thomas <Dave / pragprog.com> wrote:
>> Perhaps I'm just not understanding something here, but how would I
>> distribute variants (such as the kilmer template) with this scheme? It
>> looks like I'd have to have an entire new Outputter, and that I might
>> have to duplicate some code.
>
> Inheritance, of course!
>
> class KilmerHTMLOutputter < HTMLOutputter
> end

Except - I don't think it would work as cleanly as you imagine it
might. Having the HTML and the code intertwined would mean that there's
code duplication when the HTML has to be changed.

I'm not going to add a code-based HTML generation scheme to RDoc.
However, you're right; the underlying code model could be tidied up
somewhat. That's on the list of things to do when (if) I get around to
rewriting RDoc.

Cheers

Dave