I've the contents of a raw log file in memory, and a program that will
parse this raw log data and print out human-readable info.  The
problem is, I can't figure out how to use this program as a filter in
Ruby.

I've tried:

IO.popen('/usr/games/jive', 'w+') { |io|
  io.puts "What is going on?"
  puts io.gets
}

But it just hangs at the gets.  This is nagging at the back of my
mind, and if I had my copy of _The Unix Programming Environment_, I
bet I'd find it in there, but it's on loan at the moment.

I could, if no other solution presents itself, write the raw log to a
file, run the filter on the file, and then read that data back into
ruby, but this strikes me as inefficient and error-prone.  Can it be
done the way I'm trying to?

-=Eric
		-- Blair Houghton.