On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 23:35:58 +0900
mgarriss <mgarriss / earthlink.net> wrote:

> David Heinemeier Hansson wrote:
>
> > I'm seeing memory consumption in the area of 30-35mb per Apache
> > process running mod_ruby with a fairly smallish web-app. I appreciate
> > that it's hard to generalize about this stuff, but is that normal? Is
> > there any obvious steps I can take to reduce the footprint? The server
> > in question is equipped with 256mb RAM, so it doesn't take more than
> > eight Apache instances to bring it to its knees.
> >
> > / David
>

> I get about 8-10mb per process.  I took no special steps.  Anything
> unusual about your setup?  It doesn't take a lot of lines of code to use
> a lot of ram.  Maybe check over what you are doing in the code...

These are both because you're probably running fairly simple scripts and
the GC isn't getting called a whole lot.

Put GC.start at the bottom of your scripts and I bet your memory
consumption will be fairly normal again. ;-)

Of course, this costs a bit of time, but users may not notice since the
outpt has already been sent.

--
Ryan Pavlik <rpav / mephle.com>

"And I'm 10,000 feet up in the air. Dang it." - 8BT