il Tue, 9 Sep 2003 05:27:50 +0900, james_b <james_b / neurogami.com> ha
scritto::

>There's a link on Sean McGrath's web log [0] (well worth reading) to a
>mock-up of an imagined Python home page [1].  As Sean describes it, the
>design is "problem oriented."  It presents Python as a product or tool
>for solving problems, with targeted (though non-working) links for
>different audiences.
>
>Unlike many language or software home pages, it does not assume that a
>visitor has already made a decision to use it; instead, it seems to make
>an effort to sell the language to potential users.

just my 2 cents:

I think that is really clever.

BTW, in the mainlines it resembles http://www.rebol.com ,  or
http://www.tcl.tk , java.sun.com etc..
 I think that's worth noting:

- beginners' access
- news (releases, Conferences etc)
- articles and web-stuff (community aka wiki aka related websites)
- docs & downloads
- success stories and propaganda.

now, if you look at the actual ruby-lang.org you'll find:

- whats' ruby (~beginners)
- news about conferences and releases
- community links
- documntation and downloads links

now: where is the differnce?

1- we're not pushing 'success stories'
 Possibly we could just add a random quote like python.org actually
 does. I like this. It makes the casual reader think
  'Hey that's not a toy!'
 BTW I just took a look at RealWorlRuby and it's impressive how that
 page has grown in the last months ^_^

2- Our homepage, is , possibly , too noisy.
 There are more than 60 links! notice that this may appear
 as a problem even in the real python website and in the tcl one.
 On the opposite, take a look at http://www.eiffel.com

3- what's the point in having the 'Whats new' box?   Are'nt this
 news those in the main column ?

4- Why the duplication for  the left column Download->Documentation
    and Documentation->more ? Duplication is bad, you know..

5- the RAA-updates box communicates very little. Possibly we should
    limit it to less entries, but with the complete short description.
   Compare these:
   rdindex: rdindex
   ruby-gst: Ruby bindings for ..
   ruby-gnome2: Ruby-GNOME2
   ruby-dbi: Ruby/DBI

    with this:
   New Reblet: IOS Sharing Manager. A handy tool for IOS
    administrators.

 And obiouvly, having click&open menus/submenus would be a really cool
think and a really good usability enhancement :)

But probably, the point in all this is that the 'concept-art' is
always better than reality ;)

PS
obviously I'd like to thank all the people that help to keep
ruby-lang.org updated and that spend time to make it work.

As usual, those that don't work, speak , and I'm a great speaker and a
bad worker

PPS
ruby-lang.org Powered by Ruby version 1.6.7 ???