I checked out the CVS HEAD yesterday, transferred it to my web host (where I
have access to gcc), converted the files from DOS to Unix format, ran
autoconf and configure with:

./configure --prefix=$HOME

I ran make, and got:

ossl_cipher.c: In function `ossl_cipher_new':
ossl_cipher.c:57: void value not ignored as it ought to be
ossl_cipher.c: In function `ossl_cipher_initialize':
ossl_cipher.c:101: void value not ignored as it ought to be
ossl_cipher.c: In function `ossl_cipher_reset':
ossl_cipher.c:128: void value not ignored as it ought to be
ossl_cipher.c: In function `ossl_cipher_encrypt':
ossl_cipher.c:169: void value not ignored as it ought to be
ossl_cipher.c:178: void value not ignored as it ought to be
ossl_cipher.c: In function `ossl_cipher_decrypt':
ossl_cipher.c:214: void value not ignored as it ought to be
ossl_cipher.c:223: void value not ignored as it ought to be
ossl_cipher.c: In function `ossl_cipher_update':
ossl_cipher.c:245: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a
cast
ossl_cipher.c:248: wrong type argument to unary exclamation mark
ossl_cipher.c: In function `ossl_cipher_final':
ossl_cipher.c:268: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a
cast
ossl_cipher.c: In function `ossl_cipher_set_key':
ossl_cipher.c:303: void value not ignored as it ought to be
ossl_cipher.c: In function `ossl_cipher_set_iv':
ossl_cipher.c:320: void value not ignored as it ought to be
make[1]: *** [ossl_cipher.o] Error 1

I don't know what version of OpenSSL is necessarily being provided by the
web host, but I have compiled and installed 0.9.7-latest into $HOME/openssl.

I have also tried adding $HOME/openssl to the search path.

1. Why is this failing?
2. Do I need to tell Ruby where to find my OpenSSL installation?
   How?

-austin
--
austin ziegler    * austin / halostatue.ca * Toronto, ON, Canada
                                         * 15.07.14