Actually...I tried (as did Matz delivery-date wise) to get 1.8 into
Panther.  I don't think it made it.  I am going to download the latest
drop from the Apple developer's site today and let you know whether by
some miracle its there...but I would not count on it :-(

As for a .pkg...there is a RubyForge project to build an installer for
OS X ( http://rubyforge.org/projects/osx-dist/ ).  The project
maintainer has not released a .pkg file yet...I will contact him and
ask status.

-rich