Daniel Carrera <dcarrera / math.umd.edu> wrote:
> It has come to my attention that the word religious can, indeed, be
> correctly used in contexts that have nothing to do with God.  The word
> "religious" apparently can also be used to mean "strict" or as a reference
> to zealous devotion to something.
>
> I was not aware of this alternative definition.  I am sad that it exists
> because it casts people of faith in a bad light.  Someone can say that
> they are "religious" and mean that they believe that God exists, and the
> listener might interpret that they are saying that they are zealous and
> strict.  I guess I'll have to avoid using that word.

I don't believe this definition extends to describing a *person* as
'religious', though. Thus, "he observed the highway code religiously",
or "he maintained a religious devotion to Ruby", or even "he was
religious in his attention to detail" are all okay, but "he was
religious" is unambiguously a reference to the "God" sense of the word.

martin