Hi,

From: Ferenc Engard <ferenc / engard.hu>
Subject: 2 questions about TkVariable and ruby/tk
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 09:11:26 +0900
> This works perfectly, just as I expect. BUT, if I comment out the
> debugging puts(), then it prints v's content, then 'ok.' just as before,
> but after that the program hangs, the X window do not appear, and I
> cannot even stop the program with CTRL-C! If I simply just read the
> v.value (do not print it), the result is similar. :-O With v.inspect the
> problem do not occur. What difference makes reading a TkVariable's
> value???

Do you use which version of Ruby/Tk?
I tried it on "ruby 1.8.0 (2003-09-05) [i686-linux]",
but I couldn't get the occurrence of the problem.

# To try your script, I use the following definition.
# -------------------------------------------------
# class TkTable < TkWindow
#   def create_self
#     tk_call('table', @path)
#   end
# end
# -------------------------------------------------

Maybe the problem depends on the fixed bugs between the 1.8.0 release
and the CVS head.

> My second question is related to the previous: I have the feeling that
> this 'hang' really means a runtime error in the ruby code which is
> executed from tcl (which is executed from ruby :). So, my question is
> how to receive these error messages, and why do the process hang if it
> encounters with an error like this?

Sorry. It is a bug on tcltklib. The bug has already fixed on CVS.
Please get the newest version of tcltklib and tk from CVS,
and try your script on the new Ruby/Tk.