So, still busy just getting introduced to this ruby business.  For
riduculous reasons entirely my own, I decide it would neat-o to have a
programm write a line of dots on the screen (.....), but to write them
slooowly, maybe a second between each dot.  Okay.  So I try

25.times { print "."; sleep 1 }
print "\n"

But instead of printing a dot, waiting a second, and then printing
another dot, &c.  Ruby waits 25 seconds and then prints 25 dots all at
once.

Interestingly, { puts "."; sleep 1 } shows the desired behavior of
waiting a second between each dot, but of course it puts each dot on a
separate line.

It's looking to me like Ruby gathers up print messages, and saves them
up, writing to stdout only when it encounters a newine or the end of the
program.

Anybody know how to get my idle little toy to work the way I want it to.
It would help me scratch this little itch way up on top my brain.

Thanks
Thomas