Apologies for not paying attention much to the countless previous
threads related to web application ruby technologies, but I haven't
needed any of them... until now.

I'm going to be writing a web application, and I'm considering using
Ruby.  I was wondering if someone could give a quick, terse list of
the popular packages out there for this sort of work.

Were I doing this in Java (my profession, BTW), I'd use an app
server, jdbc to a database, with (likely) struts/jsp on the front
end.  What I'm looking for is [however rough] ruby equivalents to
that.  By "equivalent", I mean from a problem solving context, not
necessarily a technological equivalent.

I can do the footwork of researching the things; I'm not looking for
that necessarily, but rather just a starting point of things to check
out.

As part of this application will be some sort of shopping cart
functionality, any recommendations there as well as  CGI speedup
things (mod_ruby, et. al.) would be appreciated as well.

Again, sorry for the vagueness of this... criticism on how to better
structure my question is ALSO welcome.

Thanks,

Michael