>    I got a book a ruby book "SAMS teach yourself ruby in days" and after
> that I am planning to shift in ruby. Basically I am a VB programmer but
> I like LINUX and the open source environment. Is there anything in ruby
> to make the GUI as simple as in VB? I am making it in Tk and it is fine
> but it is taking a lot of time.
>    I am in Calcutta(INDIA). I am sure that in calcutta nobody(!) knows
> ruby. I am also a student. I want to learn ruby. But there are no such
> books in here. But after joining in this list I am getting confidence.
> Make ruby popular.
> LET US RUBY

Do not be surprised if there are other Ruby users in Calcutta. The book
_Making Use of Ruby_ was written by an Indian, I think (though he may
be a US resident or even a US citizen as far as I know).

And while we're on the topic of books.

The _Teach Yourself Ruby_ book is a good one. Mark Slagell did a great
job on that, much better IMO than the average book in that series.

As you may know: _Programming Ruby_  is the definitive Ruby book in
English (called the "pickaxe" because of the picture on the cover). I am
partial to _The Ruby Way_, of course, since I wrote (most of) it.
_The Ruby Developer's Guide_ is good also.

There's an O'Reilly book by Matz. It's the only one in English I don't
have. I've heard it's very good, but some people have complained about
its organization.

If you speak German, there are a couple of other options, and if you
speak Japanese, there are *many* others.

And of course, there are many good websites. But you can find them all
eventually if you "manually spider" from the ruby-lang.org site.

Good luck, and spread the word.

Hal