> All-
>
> For the string called pkg_bug_base, I'm currently using the following
> code to make some substitutions:
>
>   pkg_bug_base.gsub!(/<sp_num>/, sp_num_string)
>   pkg_bug_base.gsub!(/<rel_num>/, rel_num)
>
> Question: Is there a way to put this all on one line? I tried this, but
> the code crashed here:
>
>   pkg_bug_base.gsub!(/<sp_num>/, sp_num_string).gsub!(/<rel_num>/,
> rel_num)

Further to Hal's response, if you remove the !s then everything will be OK.

I suggest you run 'ri gsub!' to see what it is that Hal's talking about --
assuming you have ri installed.

If a method returns nil, as "gsub!(/<sp_num>/, sp_num_string)" is liable
to, then all further operations on it are likely to fail.  For the sake of
a bit of fun, you could do this:

  class NilClass
    def gsub!(*args)
      raise "Bad luck, buddy"

Not that I suggest that sort of thing for real code.

Gavin