On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 12:27:05AM +0900, nobu.nokada / softhome.net wrote:
> One possibility is that it is same as Bourne-shell's
> && and ||.  Perhaps it comes via Perl, but I don't know the
> certain reason.

Well, && and || are traceable back to C, no matter what route they took to
Ruby, and their Ruby behavior, including their precedence, matches their
behavior in C.

The spelled-out 'and' and 'or' have appeared in many languages, but I
suspect their precise behavior with regard to precedence (of each other
and of the punctuational versions) was borrowed from Perl.

-Mark