> Just want to surface this link to everyone involved in the (rather
> large)
> subthread of OOP flavors:
>
> http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-07-1999/jw-07-toolbox_p.html
>
> james_b posted it as a footnote but I thought people might easily miss
> it.
>
> I read this 6-part series a couple of years ago and it really
> challenged the
> way I thought about OO.  While Holub is certainly "extreme" in his
> views, I
> think he does make some very illuminating--and often
> convincing--arguments.
> (It's a long series, but very worth it IMO...)

I read his articles after you posted your note.  His ideas are
certainly extreme and show a marked misunderstanding of the proper way
to implement the MVC paradigm.   For some reason he does a reasonable
job of explaining that objects are bundles of capabilities (or
responsibilities) then completely ignores that fact in presuming that a
Model object in an MVC world is simply a bundle of data with a bunch of
getter's and setter's.

Sure... if you design your model objects to violate encapsulation then
your system is not very Object Oriented (presuming, of course, that you
accept encapsulation as a tenet defining Object Oriented-ness).  But if
your model, view, and controller objects are designed as objects,
following the proper definition of object, how could you reasonably
make the claim that the system is other than Object Oriented?

There are some valuable ideas in those articles... but some very poor
ones as well.

Scott