> What's missing is an explanation of what I need
> to statically link against. Right now, since I'm
> not linking any Ruby stuff in, I'm getting link
> errors for ruby_init, etc. Do I have to
> individually link in the specific .o files
> (Linux) or .obj files (Windows) that I need? Or
> is there some library (.lib in Windows, ??? in
> Linux) that I can link to?

I'm sure you'll get a much more thorough answer from
someone more knowledgable (I really don't do any C
programming), but on my system (linux) there is a file
called libruby.a in my
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.6/i686-linux/ directory.  This
is an archive you can link, which contains .o files
that contain the code you're looking for.

BTW, the equivalent to Windows' .lib files in linux is
.so (shared object).

I hope this helps.  If not, just hang on and someone
will surely post something more thorough (and perhaps
more correct).

Chad