Sean O'Dell <sean / cSePlsoAfMt.com[REMOVE_THE_SPAM]> skrev den Wed, 3 Sep
2003 04:53:13 +0900:

> I think of it like this:
>
> The Image object manages the image buffer.  It should control what goes
> into the image and now.
>
> The Text object manages a text string.  It controls what goes into the
> string, and provides various modes of access to the string.
>
> To manipulate a string, the Text object needs *no* input from the Image
> object.  It's job is to manage a string.  That's all it does.
>
> The Image object, however, needs to know about MANY different object
> types because it receives them as input for determine how to manipulate
> the image.  It manages an image buffer.  That's all it does.
>
> From that, I can only envision image.draw(text) as the most logical
> pattern.

Although I agree with you on this one I'm not sure there will always
be a clear-cut "most logical pattern". Thus I still think we should
have a healthy debate about multi-methods in a potential future Ruby.
But from previous ones I think matz doesn't like it; and maybe he is
right. The additional complexity of implementation and learning
may not be worth it since these situations are rare?

To get a taste of the complexity check the description of the
method dispatch in for example Slate:

http://slate.tunes.org/semantics.html

;)

Regards,