It turns out that the problem was that the core file being used was for 1.68
and the ruby version being used was version 1.80 and the socket library was
from 1.80. Once I used only 1.68 code, then it worked fine.

What I was wondering was how to get a core file for 1.80. In the latest
(2.6.6) distribution of Exerb, there are *.rbx files in the lib/exerb
directory.

ruby168c.rbx
ruby168g.rbx

How do I generate a ruby180.rbx?