--- mark <msparshatt / yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > On Tuesday 02 Sep 2003 2:45
pm, Thomas Adam wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I've been lurking on this list for a while, and I have a basic
> question
> > that I'm hoping someone can help answer.
> >
> > I have read the FAQ regarding file I/O, and I am still having
> problems.
> > Basically, I'm opening a file like this:
> >
> I can see two problems with the program
>
> > myfile = File.open("/home/n6tadam/the_file", "r+")
> > arr[]
>
> This line causes an error since arr hasn't been initialised at this
> point

arr = []
# or arr = Array.new

> > arr = myfile.readlines()
> > #change contents of arr
> >
> > myfile.rewind()
> > myfile.print arr
>
> This will put all the elements of arr on one line. If you want each
> element to
> appear on a seperate line then you should use
>
> myfile.puts arr
>
> > myfile.close()
> >

> aside from those two points the program works as expected.

The program was as an example only to illustrate my question which is
below...

---question---
> > but still the file has not updated. Any ideas why? Also, when you want
> > do in-place editing of the file, do you have to read the file into an
> > array first?
---end question---

> Hope that helps

Yes, thanks :) managed to remove my typos :)

-- Thomas Adam

=====
Thomas Adam

"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- www.linuxgazette.com