On Tuesday 02 Sep 2003 2:45 pm, Thomas Adam wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been lurking on this list for a while, and I have a basic question
> that I'm hoping someone can help answer.
>
> I have read the FAQ regarding file I/O, and I am still having problems.
> Basically, I'm opening a file like this:

I can see two problems with the program

> myfile = File.open("/home/n6tadam/the_file", "r+")
> arr[]

This line causes an error since arr hasn't been initialised at this point

> arr = myfile.readlines()
> #change contents of arr
>
> myfile.rewind()
> myfile.print arr

This will put all the elements of arr on one line. If you want each element to
appear on a seperate line then you should use

myfile.puts arr

> myfile.close()

aside from those two points the program works as expected.

> but still the file has not updated. Any ideas why? Also, when you want to
> do in-place editing of the file, do you have to read the file into an
> array first?
>
> Hope that's not too confusing,
>
> -- Thomas Adam

Hope that helps