On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 07:49:29AM +0900, Basile STARYNKEVITCH wrote:

> No, not yet. The problem of having several apps sending requests to
> the same Guis is "security": what do you allow to flow from on app to
> another (but you could use X selection mechanism to make different
> Guis communicate, if you really want to).

this can be really hard depending on the language underlying Guis,
python would seem to make any control impossible.

> And why do you want to have several apps
> sending to the same Guis? (If you really want a general higher level
> graphical system, consider contributing to Fresco)

would be nice to have on embeded systems that are short on memory
or don't have shared libs or simply to cut startup times for some
apps.
I assume something like Guis with some really small lisp interpreter
(SIOD?) could be very small?

Fresco or PicoGUI are both very interesting, though Fresco will be
probably far too big for many applications.

>     Richard> just curious, how much programmable was NeWS? Did it have
>     Richard> some builtin interpreter language or something like this?
>
> many years ago (october 1993), I wrote a (hundred line) description of
> NeWS under http://www.zendo.com/vsta/mail/1/0146.html. Unfortunately,
> this mail archive is lost. Perhaps you might find it into google
> cache?

will try, although chances are slim if I don't know many keywords.

>     >> Can a built-in module be extended by scripts?
>
>     Richard> I would think it works exactly like extending builtin
>     Richard> classes, never tried though.
>
> Thanks. I suppose you are thinking about the following trick (found on
> the rubycentral website):
>

> ## add a method to_guis to an ExistingClass
> ExistingClass.class_eval {
>   def to_guis
>     return "result"
>   end
> }

I meant simply

class Object
  def new_wb(*args)
    if block_given?
      res=new(*args)
      yield res
    else
      raise SyntaxError, "new_wb method expects a block"
    end
    return res

will add a method new_wb to class Object and all derived classes.

Richard