On Monday 01 Sep 2003 9:47 am, Hannu Kankaanpää wrote:
> I was quite humoured by this article:
> http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/kd/courses/pythonruby.pdf
>
> It said having to use abs(-5) instead of -5.abs is a "major problem
> with Python". And I'm afraid they were serious, even though that's
> not far from begin complete nonsense.

They also seemed to be offended by being able to type

print "Hello world"

Though from their second alternative I guess they weren't aware that you can
write

STDOUT.print "Hello world"

Though IMHO having to write STDOUT all the time would get tiresome very
quickly (and "hello world".print just looks weird)

So I'd say that Ruby has the right balance of purity and practicality.

> They were not concerned with
> the syntactic difference between overloaded operator calls and normal
> function calls, for example. Or that some might actually prefer abs(x).
> Oh boy, would they enjoy Lisp or Scheme. For some reason, most of us
> don't.

Best Regards

Mark Sparshatt