It appears to have compiled socket correctly this time... I
think... it's still going.  Here's the deal:

I previously tried to build on a Solaris 9 machine, which failed. I then
went to a Solaris 8 machine (which apparently mounts the same directory,
but a different /usr/include) and tried to build again.  IT seems to
have left old makefiles in the directories with the problems of the
Solaris 9 machine.

Hmmm...

-Kurt