On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 03:18:06PM +0900, Kurt M. Dresner wrote:
> It turns out that the thing I sent before was from a Solaris 9 machine,
> but apparently I need to compile it on a Solaris 8 machine.  When I went
> to the Solaris 8 machine and looked in that header file, there wasn't
> even a projid_t in the file, which makes me think it was different
> headers.  However, I still get this error message when I try to compile
> under Solaris 8:

FYI I've compiled ruby-1.8.0 on several Solaris 8 machines, without
problems. This was using gcc 2.95.3 on most and gcc 3.2.3 on one, with gcc
installed from sunfreeware packages.

I've just re-tested them:

irb(main):001:0> require 'socket'
=> true

(although we use DRb and HTTP modules all the time, so I'm sure socket must
be OK :-)

So I wonder if it's possible that you have bad header files on your machine
- for example a mixture of gcc and non-gcc compilers?

Regards,

Brian.