Brian Candler wrote:

>The marshalled form of an object contains only the class name and the
>instance variables; it does not include the methods of the class. You can
>see this if you use 'inspect' on the output of Marshal.
>
>So if you redefine class Foo, when you load in an old object it will be of
>the new Foo class. In any case the object does not contain the methods of
>Foo, it contains only a pointer to the class Foo.
>
>This is why you can't marshal an object with singleton methods.
>
>Regards,
>
>Brian.

Hmm.  I can certainly see how that would simplify things.  But it
definitely implies that marshalled output can't be transferred between
computers.  And probably not even between processors on the same
computer (what with on-the-fly class construction and modification).
What would one use for that?  You certainly don't want a copy of the
code for every instance, but I don't see the do-able inbetween position.