prosys <<nospam4.me / ottomate.biz [remove.me]>> wrote:

> So what you are saying, Avi, is that, in your opinion, Smalltalk and Java
> are on par with each other performance-wise?

Pretty much.  There are fast and slow implementations of either, and
there will be some things each is faster for, but they're in the same
ballpark.

Smalltalk apps don't have the horrific startup times of Java apps,
though - an advantage of the virtual image approach is almost
instantaneous loads.  And of course since you can change code on the
fly, on the server side you tend to just leave the process running
until you reboot the machine.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled Ruby programming.

Avi