On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 07:40:06AM +0900, Jim Freeze wrote:
> Yes, Sun is very slow. Also, you showed a time of about 11.36 for Ruby.
> I assume that was on a Sun box.

I showed even a slower time without any comment about my hardware,
operating system, ruby / Ocaml versions, gcc versions etc. That was
a x86. Thus, following your logic, x86 is slow. I can test on a much
faster Sun than my x86, too, and post the results. Following your logic
that means Sun is very fast, and x86 is very slow. Also that Solaris is
substantially faster than NetBSD. Uh huh...

*MY* 12sec test was run on a P2 266 / NetBSD-current /
ruby 1.6.8 / ocaml 3.06. Er wait, can't be an x86 with taking over
10 seconds, right ?

Now if I go test on a blade 1ghz, I'll crush your universe. I'll have
pity on you though.

Sorry for this mail but comments of such a quality don't belong on a
list like ruby-talk, more like a list microsoft-x86-advocacy or so,
comparing apples to oranges without tagging either nor joining the
real test (ocaml vs. ruby) nor mentioning any of the environment when
you do something else than comparative tests for a relative comparison
within the very same setting (hardware & os & task) is, well ... Not
very ruby'istish :>

-Martin