"Daniel Berger" <djberge / qwest.com> wrote in
> - Replaced most calls to NetQueryDisplayInformation() with less unicode
>   friendly, but easier, method calls.

But I think this may be problematic because win32 API (e.g. NetUserEnum())
expects unicode.

> - All methods except getlogin() now accept a server name as an optional
>   argument.  If provided, lookups are done against that server instead
>  of the  local machine.

This part did not work for me.

> Synopsis
> ========
> require "win32etc"
>
> puts "Login: " + Win32Etc.getlogin
>
> p Win32Etc.getpwnam("Guest","\\some_server")
                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think this should be "\\\\someserver"

> Remote server testing - I don't have a machine to test against for
> calling a method against a remote server instead of the local machine.
> Testing much appreciated on that front.

Like I said earlier, this did not work for me. I guess this is because of
lines such as

                szServer = (LPCWSTR)STR2CSTR(server);

in your code. I think STR2CSTR returns regular C strings (char *) not
unicode (wchar_t *) strings. Is there a way to convert regular strings to
unicode in Ruby ?

Let me know if you need to see my C code ;-)

> Insight into why I should or shouldn't use NetQueryDisplayInformation()
> instead of NetGroupEnum(), etc.  Hopefully, something beyond, "Because

Sorry, I have no idea why ... can't help you there.

By the way the link in RAA  to your download is wrong, it should be:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ruby-sysutils/sys-win32etc-0.0.2.zip?download

Hope that helps.
-- shanko