Thanks for the reply

I did the postgresql install using well-known package from Marc Liyanage:

http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/

I have tried specifying library path when invoking extconf.rb, using
this syntax:

ruby extconf.rb --with-pgsql-include-dir=/usr/local/pgsql/include \
--with-pgsql-lib-dir=/usr/local/pgsql/lib

...but I still get the same error that it can't find the postgres libs,
although I have verified that the libraries in question are present in
the specified location.

 - Thomas