How did you install postgresql? I had to specify the location of the
postgresql libraries when I installed ruby-postgres.

In my case I had installed postgresql via fink, so the postgres libs
were in /sw/lib/postgresql/ and the includes in /sw/include/postgresql/

I don't remember (and don't have sources for ruby-postgres on my system
at the moment) the exact argument so tp extconf.rb but the README or
INSTALL has the info you need to specify the library and include info.

let me know if this doesn't work and I can figure it out again.

-Brian