> I'm trying to build ruby-postgres extension under Mac OS X 10.2.6, ruby
> 1.6.7, PostgreSQL 7.3.3.  Running extconf.rb returns the familiar error
>
> checking for PQsetdbLogin() in -lpq... no
> Could not find PostgreSQL libraries: Makefile not created
>
> I have verified that the library file libpq.so and others mentioned in
> the install note are present and with open perms.  So this error
> message
> that it cannot find the libraries it needs is confusing, to say the
> least.

".so" is not an extension that one usually finds on Mac OS X.  Most
often one would see ".a" or ".dylib".  Is libpq.so part of the Ruby
side of the equation, or part of the Postgre install?

I suspect that the extconf.rb file is trying to determine if the
routine it wants is in the file using a mechanism that is legitimate on
Linux, or other Unicies, but no valid on Mac OS X.

Can you find the relevant lines of extconf.rb that are generating the
error message?

Scott