On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 07:52:27AM +0900, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 27, 2003, 4:00:11 AM, mgarriss wrote:
>
> > If you're feeling brave you could read the ./ext/readline/readline.c
> > file under the ruby source tree.
> > I often have to look in .c files to see what methods I have available to
> > me. :)
>
> No you don't :)  Run irb and enter "Readline.instance_methods"!

I do inspect objects and modules frequently to find out what
methods are there, but sometimes just the names are not very informative.
The README in the source tree was actually very helpful; it seems
like it should get put somewhere accessible as part of the
installation of Ruby.  I don't mind plaintext doc, I just need to
be able to find it. :)

Oh, and the solution to my particular problem was simply to pass the
right arguments to the readline method.  It has two parameters,
the first being a prompt string and the second being a flag
that, if true, causes the read line to be stored in the history.
So Readline.readline('', true) was what I needed.

Thanks for all the help.

-Mark