Welcome to the world of "proof-of-concept" ruby tools.

The profiler and the debugger are implemented in an extremly bad ways.
It is not a problem to increase the performance by a factor 100.

I'm currently working on the debugger issue. Profiler will come later.

At the moment the only possibility is to reduce the data size in your
application or split it into a few testcases. I know it removes most of the
usefullness of profiling, which should be done on real world data. But
at the moment there is no way to do this.