--Boundary-02krS/76iMWa6f9I

On Monday 25 August 2003 7:21 am, Michael Campbell wrote:
> > >   x=$<.read;puts [x.map.size,x.split.size,x.size]*' '
> > >
> > > Trsr:
> > >
> > >   #!perl -p0777
> > >   $_="@{[y/
> > >   //,0+split,y///c]}
> > >   "
> >
> > This illustrates pretty well why I switched from Perl to Ruby. =)
>
> I know there's a smiley there, but let's be fair; people don't
> generally say they switched from C because of the entries in the
> OCCC, and that is clearly an overt example of TRYING to be
> obfuscated.

Well, I was mostly being funny, but seriously, it was my experience that
a lot of perl code that I worked hard to write clearly was far from
easily understandable to me when I looked at it a few months later.
Once you get really good with perl it's a lot easier, but it can still
be a monster to figure out. Until I came across better languages, perl
was one of my favorites, but even then I shook my fist at it once or
twice for being a "write-only" language. (=

Sure, you can obfuscate anything you want, but the thing I like about
Ruby is that it *naturally* tends to be nice and understandable. Perl,
it *naturally* tends to turn into a sharp-toothed three-eyed monster.
(Which is fine, if you know how to tame sharp-toothed three-eyed
monsters.) It took me years to master all the nuances of perl, and I
kept finding new (often surprising!) things about it all the time.
Ruby, I learned and started using productively in literally an
afternoon, and after only about a year or so with it, I feel like more
of a master of the language than I ever was with perl.

> Playing devils advocate, if you switched from perl because a lot of
> your perl code looked like /that/, maybe the problem isn't the
> language. =)

My perl wasn't really the problem; I could *rarely* understand anyone
else's without investing some significant effort. On the other hand,
every Ruby script, library, or snippet I've looked at written by
anybody else has been pretty easy to understand. Maybe it's just a
difference in who's writing the code, but experience tells me that if
common idioms are awkward and ugly, it's the language.

--
Wesley J. Landaker - wjl / icecavern.net

--Boundary-02krS/76iMWa6f9I

--Boundary-02krS/76iMWa6f9I--