Hi

I am in the process of configuring an install of Ruby
for Sun and Linux, using the same file system.

I have a couple of questions:

 1) Is it OK for Sun and Linux to share ALL the same .rb files?
    I realize that irb and erb may have to be modified since
    they typically hard code the ruby path in their shebang.
 2) I assume that using --bindir=DIR will allow me to customize
    only the modules in /bin, but I have never tried this.
    Is this a common practice for installing for multi OS use?
    Are there any gotchas I need to watch for?

I am guessing that the install will look something like the following:

  /tools/ruby/ruby-1.8.0/lnx/bin/
    ruby # for linux
    rdoc
    ri
    irb
  /tools/ruby/ruby-1.8.0/sun/bin/
    ruby # for sun
    rdoc
    ri
    irb
  /tools/ruby/ruby-1.8.0/lib/
  /tools/ruby/ruby-1.8.0/man/

Here I assume that it will be easier to support
multiple copies of rdoc, ri and irb (ie, one for each
/bin) instead of attempting to support a common
/bin for all the OS's.

--
Jim Freeze