OCaml is a fine language, but it certainly is not as fun as ruby... unless
you're a functional languages geek :P.

I would suggest you just go out and try Ruby. Trying to reason about weither
it's slow or not based on some tables in a webpage is really just stumbling
in the dark. Unless you're doing high performance systems, I doubt you'll
notice ruby's speed. If you're doing high performance systems, you likely
would just be using c or c++ and it wouldn't even occur to you to use ruby
:).

Just give up and learn to love ruby, slow as it might be in benchmarks. In
the times and tasks I've used it, it's speed has never been an issue.

> Meanwhile the C++ template lovers praise snippets that can
> calculate something trivial like factorials or logarithms
> in base 2 ;).

Typically I just lurk here. However, I'd like to point out that typelists,
traits, enforcements, and many other c++ template metaprogramming techniques
are practical and likely will become widely used idioms. It is awkward,
ugly, and broken in many compilers. But it's also useful. Many people
criticise what Alexandrescu and others are doing because at first pass it
seems like stupid programmer tricks. If instead you take the optimistic
point of view and begin to see that if you use them appropriatly... I think
you'll get excited at the implications it has.

Of you can just go back to ruby, forget the uglyness and have fun :).